On to the event:
Legacy, book #3 of the Ganzfield series, was released January 28th and Kate had a nice little launch party the night before at Gibson's Bookstore in Concord, NH. I was able to attend and finally meet Kate (who is a lovely person and so sweet - she brought brownies for everyone!)
Kate started by reading from Legacy - she does a great live reading. I love how she really puts the perfect inflection into her voice for it.I didn’t take any specific notes, but here’s a little recap of the tidbits I learned there:
- Trevor is loosely based on Kate's husband and Maddie has a lot of Kate in her
- The book cover silhouettes are actual people – Isaiah's profile on the cover for Adversary is Kate's husband
- Kate’s brother works in Hollywood - he did the book trailer
- A local Concord band did the music for the trailer – they just signed a major record deal.
- Kate’s considering making a film treatment for the series
- She thinks Steven R. McQueen would be perfect for Trevor
- Created detailed personal profiles for all her characters
- Says there will be a New Jersey joke in every single book
- 6 books are planned for the series, Accused comes out later this year. I learned the titles for the remaining book and the possible Seth book, but I'm not sure if Kate's revealed that, so I'll refrain from revealing them here.
- Kate talked about other YA books and how mind-reading is relatively common – compared the Ganzfield books to Twilight and the Sookie Stackhouse series – how those characters fall in love with the people who cannot hear their thoughts and she liked it the opposite. Trevor is really this pure guy because he is someone whose thoughts Maddie can stand to hear all the time and he’s someone who doesn’t mind that she can hear all his thoughts.
- Says she uses psychology to develop her characters – what drives them determines exactly who they are
- There is a new power in book 5
- Kate couldn’t speak any more highly of fellow Spencer Hill author, Jennifer Armentrout - Half-Blood releases in September. Kate also mentioned a ghost story about a mental hospital patient that isn’t crazy, but really sees ghosts – this is from an author who may be coming to Spencer Hill.
- After the Ganzfield series, Kate has a college story about a girl at Yale with a paranormal twist.
- Spencer Hill Press (and Kate) will be at BEA this year. They'll be giving out tote bags as swag. I am so hoping to make it out for BEA - even more so now that I'd have a cool author to hang out with.
My review for Legacy will be up later on today